* Victoria has reported just a single COVID-19 case and no deaths, a "remarkable achievement" according to health chief Brett Sutton.
* The state's 14-day rolling average of new cases is 8.1 for metropolitan Melbourne and 0.5 for regional areas.
* Premier Daniel Andrews has lashed out at the fact 17 federal trans-Tasman bubble travellers reached Victoria from New Zealand via Sydney on Friday despite Victoria not being part of the arrangement.
* However acting immigration minister Alan Tudge dismissed his complaints as a distraction from the business of delivering social and economic normality.
* Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt says Victoria should now be able to move to the next step in line with NSW and reopen but Mr Andrews says he's not an epidemiologist and should stop "playing games".
* NSW has recorded seven new cases - including five locally transmitted - as authorities again demand an uptick in testing.
* Saturday sport has been cancelled for Sydney's Oran Park High School and all staff and pupils have been directed to self-isolate. Classrooms will be deep cleaned.
* Shaws Bay Hotel in Ballina will be closed for a week from Saturday after police identified 12 breaches of public health orders across two visits in late September and early October, which resulted in two $5000 fines.
* A nurse in full protective gear has boarded a bulk carrier in Western Australia's Geraldton Port to swab a crew member with coronavirus symptoms.
* Waste water testing at Sandgate, Maroochydore and Wynnum has identified possible undiagnosed cases of COVID-19 in Queensland.
* Three cases have been detected by authorities in South Australian and two in WA. All are returned travellers.
* October 19 - Some restrictions in Melbourne to be eased.
* October 26 - Tasmania's state of emergency due to expire.
* November 1 - Queensland border reopened to NSW visitors subject to conditions being met.
* November 2 - Regional Victoria residents allowed to travel to the Northern Territory if case numbers remain low.
* November 6 - Victoria's hotel quarantine inquiry report due.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS
* There were 13 new cases in Australia, including seven in NSW, one in Victoria, two in WA and three in South Australia.
* The national death toll is 904: Victoria 816, NSW 55, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states.)
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS
* Cases: at least 39,590,000
* Deaths: at least 1,109,135
* Recovered: at least 29,659,928
Data current as of 1700 AEDT October 17, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Worldometer.
© AAP 2020