National News

Threats to NT policeman after shooting

Social media posts that named and published an image of the police officer involved in Saturday's shooting death of Kumunjayi Walker, 19, in the Indigenous community of Yuendumu are being taken down by Facebook.

The officer was racially abused and threatened in one message.

Mr Walker, 19, died after he was shot at Yuendumu, 300 kilometres from Alice Springs, when two police officers were there to arrest him for breaches of his suspended sentence.

Both the NT Police and police union released statements criticising threats to the officer, who has not worked since Saturday.

"There is a lot of public commentary especially on social media which could influence witnesses and not allow the investigation to run its full course," NT Police said.

NT Police Association president Paul McCue, who is in Alice Springs and has spoken to the officers involved, said he's appalled by the social media posts.

"To brandish irresponsible language about those officers involved before knowing the facts is disrespectful to them and their families." he said.

It has emerged that staff from Yuelamu Health Centre 60 km away were injured after going to Yuendumu following the shooting and assisted in pronouncing Mr Walker dead.

They were injured in community unrest and required evacuation to receive treatment for lacerations and bruises at the Alice Springs Hospital.

There were no medical staff to initially help after the shooting as Yuendumu Health Centre workers evacuated earlier on Saturday due to safety concerns.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service also delayed its response amid safety concerns before it was called off because the young man died.

Emotions are running high in the remote community of about 800 mostly indigenous Warlpiri people.

The police station where Walker died was opened for a smoking ceremony.

The Northern Territory Chief Minister and NT Police Commissioner Jamie Chalker, in his second day in the job, flew from Darwin to Yuendumu to meet with elders and the community, amid concerns about police investigating their own fatal shooting.

"I can promise you the investigation will be independent and consequences will flow as a result of that investigation," Mr Gunner told the crowd.

Mr Chalker responded to reports that some witnesses were too scared to talk to police by saying that they could instead speak to Aboriginal Legal Aid.

The investigation is being overseen by West Australian Police Assistant Commissioner Nick Anticich, with independent oversight from the NT Ombudsman and NT Independent Commissioner Against Corruption (ICAC), NT Police said.

A report is being prepared for the Coroner.

More than 760 kilometres drive north at Tennant Creek, Mr Walker's grandfather Simon Green was among about 100 people demonstrating outside the police station.

He called for police officers involved in the shooting to be charged with murder as Superintendent Kylie Anderson was shouted down by the crowd when she tried to calm them.

ICAC Ken Fleming QC said he had received a formal report from NT Police over the incident and would require all available information to use its powers to investigate any improper conduct..

"I am very concerned about this incident. It is traumatic for the community, and the fallout will reach all corners of the NT Police," he said.

© AAP 2019