National News

Vic childcare centre closed, 100 isolating

A childcare centre is closed and up to 100 people are self-isolating after a girl connected to a cluster in Melbourne's northern suburbs tested positive to COVID-19.

The young girl is among three new cases recorded in Victoria on Thursday, although the two other infections are under investigation and may be removed from the state's tally.

Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed one of the two cases tested positive for the virus back in August, while the other was a close contact of a positive case that same month.

An expert review panel is meeting on Thursday to review the cases.

"This is another good day of low numbers," Mr Andrews said, adding Melbourne's 14-day average dropped to 2.4 cases, while regional Victoria's is at zero.

Melbourne's mystery cases for the fortnight, meanwhile, to Monday rose by one to four.

Department of Health and Human Services deputy secretary for outbreak management Euan Wallace said the girl attended the Good Start Early Learning Centre on Plenty Road in Bundoora between October 20 and 22.

The family went into self-isolation after the mother tested positive on October 25.

The girl initially tested negative on October 26, but two days later tested positive.

"I want to make the point that everybody involved in this has done exactly the right thing," Mr Andrews said.

"They have got tested and retested. When it became clear there was a potential for exposure at the childcare centre, that closed."

The family is connected to the northern suburbs outbreak, which totals 42 people.

Professor Wallace said a dozen close contacts at the centre have been identified, including eight children and four staff.

Six children and three staff have returned negative test results so far. Their close contacts will also have to undergo testing and will self isolate for 14 days.

The childcare centre will reopen after a deep clean.

The duo praised more than 24,000 Victorians who were tested for coronavirus on Wednesday.

The premier said about 99 per cent of test results were returned within 24 hours.

It comes as the DHHS 2019/20 annual report was tabled in parliament on Thursday.

The department claims stage three restrictions, introduced in Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire in early July, prevented between 9000 and 37,000 additional cases of coronavirus that same month.

Citing modelling by Monash University and the Doherty Institute, the department also claims that if restrictions were not in place during the first wave of the pandemic, Victorians would have seen up to 58,888 new cases every day in April.

"If a business-as-usual approach had been adopted, 10,000 intensive care beds would have been required and as many as 9200 Victorians would have been presenting to hospital every day," the report states.

The report reveals the contact tracing and public health team grew from 57 people at the start of the pandemic to 1891 in June.

The premier said there were now some 2600 contact tracers working for the DHHS.

Now, 98.6 per cent of new cases are interviewed within a day of the case being notified to the health department. Almost all known contacts are notified within 48 hours.

"If every case and all their contacts are isolated within 48 hours from the first test result being received, this can prevent 80 per cent of new infections," the report said.

There were no deaths on Thursday, with the state virus toll remaining at 819 and the national figure at 907.

© AAP 2020