Fire crews continued to battle the bushfire overnight. The northern suburbs of Batemans Bay could be impacted by the Currowan fire today, as the region braces itself for another day of severe fire danger.
The northern suburbs of Batemans Bay could be impacted by the Currowan fire today, as the region braces itself for another day of severe fire danger.
The fire has been burning out of control for more than a week and is more than 50,000 hectares in size. For the latest information go to www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Smoke is heavy in the region this morning.
The RFS says anyone in the northern Batemans Bay suburbs of Long Beach, Maloneys Beach, North Batemans Bay and Surfside who are not emotionally and physically prepared to defend their properties in the advent of fire spotting and impact today should leave.
The evacuation centre at Mackay Park is open and is taking pets, the Clyde River Bridge will stay open today and The Moruya Showground is taking large animals.
RFS spokesperson James Morris says the fire remains active. He says it's unclear what damage the fire has done to date.
The Princes Highway is closed between Burrill Lake and the Kings Highway turnoff. Check Live Traffic NSW for updates.
At alert level is currently at Watch and Act
The advice for the areas of Kioloa, Bawley Point, Pretty Beach, Pebbly Beach, Depot Beach and Durras North, Termeil and Flat Rock remains to seek shelter as the fire approaches. Protect yourself from the heat of the fire. It is too late to leave.
For the South Durras area please leave now towards Batemans Bay if safe to do so.
For areas west of the Princes Highway between Termeil and East Lynne. Monitor conditions. Take advice from firefighters in the area and follow your bush fire survival plan.
For Lake Tabourie area decide now what you will do if you’re threatened by fire. The safest option is to leave early. Only stay if you and your property is well prepared.
- Ulladulla Civic Centre - 81B Princes Highway, Ulladulla.
- Mackay Park Function Centre - Corner of Beach Road and Princes Highway, Batemans Bay.
- Braidwood National Theatre Community Centre (opens 11:00am Thursday 5 December) - 100 Wallace Street, Braidwood.
- For a list of evacuation centres visit Emergency NSW.
- People are encouraged to register online at Register Find Reunite before attending evacuation centres.
If you are threatened by fire
- Do not be in the path of the fire.
- Protect yourself from the heat of the fire. Wear protective clothing and footwear. Cover all exposed skin.
- If the fire impacts, seek shelter in a solid structure to protect yourself from the heat of the fire.
- If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000).
- Stay up to date on bush fires in your area by checking the NSW RFS website, listening to your local radio station, or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
- National Parks and Wildlife Service has closed campgrounds in Murramarang National Park, as well as a number of national parks. Check for closures at NSW Parks and Wildlife Service.
- For information on road closures, check Live Traffic NSW. Roads may be closed without warning.