Local News

Merimbula mum in intensive care following house-fire overnight

bega hospital fairfax image.jpg

A Merimbula mum is in intensive care at the South East Regional Hospital at Bega, following a house fire at Merimbula overnight.

A Merimbula family has lost their home, and a mum is in the intensive care unit, at the South East Regional Hospital at Bega, following a fire that gutted their property in the early hours of this morning.

Merimbula residents are rallying around the family, which has teenage boys who attend Eden Marine High School.

Food vouchers for the family can be dropped off at East Coast Radio stations at both 119 Gipps Street, Bega and Unit 10, St George Arcade, Orient Street, Batemans Bay. 

It's understood an electrical fault caused the fire. Far South Coast crews from NSW Fire and Rescue and the Rural Fire Service were called to the fire about 2am this morning, it took them about an hour-and-a-half to contain the blaze, and they were still on the scene in Kowara Street, Merimbula at 7am this morning.